Proudly serving Maine and Eastern New Hampshire including Portland, Bangor, Portsmouth, NH
Ask the Expert invites Tony Hafford, from TC Hafford Basement Systems to explain how to fix a dirty, moldy and nasty crawl space. Tony is a foundation repair and waterproofing expert with more than 20 years of experience. His Company has been helping homeowners in Maine and SE New Hampshire solve moisture related problems in crawl spaces and basements since 1991.
Tony explains that there are two main sources of crawl space moisture:
The first is ground water which can either pool inside the crawl space due to poor drainage or evaporate from the ground.
The second source is the outside air that brings in moisture when it enters the crawl through the crawl space vents. Due to differences in temperature between the crawl space and its surroundings, the moisture will condense over the cold surfaces in the crawl.
According to Tony, effective crawl space repair is an X-step process involving:
• Drainage correction to stop water from pooling under the house.
• Vent sealing too stop the outside air from getting into the crawl.
• Crawl space encapsulation with a sturdy vapor barrier to completely isolate the area from the ground and outside air.
• Air sealing of the sill plates to minimize air infiltration
• Controlling moisture and condensation with a crawl space dehumidifier.
Visit our website for more information on crawl space repair or to schedule a free estimate. We serve the entire state of Maine including Bangor, Portland, Rochester and surrounding areas.